helena


Currently, the biggest thing happening in my life is A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare, as performed by Uni High. Going into this, I thought, "yo, you're a senior. you've got all the time in the world to learn a really huge and challenging Shakespeare role."

No, Kat. Stop taking responsibilities. Get some sleep.

It's too late. I play Helena, arguably the most important character in the show. I'll start by saying this show is super fun and I'm really excited to take on the challenge.  I guess I'm pretty nervous about that. Shakespeare's works are hard enough to capture when reading silently, alone. It's daunting to memorize these lines, understand my own words, and identify with a woman I don't ever want to become.

The thing about Helena is she's pathetic. She spends all her time chasing after Demetrius, a colossal douchebag. [Am I allowed to cuss on this? idk @ Dr. Majerus lmk if that's not ok.] Essentially, Demetrius hops to whatever relationship he will benefit the most from, most recently abandoning Helena for Hermia, who knows what she wants and takes it. Hermia is strong where Helena is weak. Hermia is short where Helena is tall. Hermia is assertive, even aggressive, where Helena encourages emotional abuse at her expense.

In the first act, Helena resolves to foil Hermia's plans to leave and find happiness because it means that she'll get to spend time with Demetrius...while chasing after Hermia, his "love." The further into the show we get, the sadder and sadder she gets.

SPOILER: She never really learns to love herself. Everything works out, I guess, but she doesn't take time to really become her own person. I just want better for her.

Regardless, I'm so excited to learn this role and all that, and I really want to do her justice, since Will Shakespeare didn't write her the ending she deserved.

Aight. Good talk. Kat out.

Comments

  1. I have read the book in freshmen year and I also do not like Helena as a character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your contrasting description of Hermia and Helena. You are so right to want more for her as a character, but she still gets some very funny and verbally enjoyable lines. I'm looking forward to the play. (Also, "douchebag" we can handle. Remind me to talk about language use issues in class...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when I read this play and I didn't like Helena either. However I really enjoyed this post because you talked about your struggles with taking on a big project/responsibility. I hope you somewhat start to understand Helena and figure out a way to take on her identity for the play!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you memorized your lines yet? :D Also, my theory on why she is so underdeveloped is because she is a woman and its a Shakespeare play, meaning that he couldn't take out the time or it wasn't very accepted that she be that "high and mighty" (Idk if my history is right or not). I'm sure whoever Demetrius is in the play will be your knight in shining armor, at the end of the day at least. I'm sure you're gonna do great as Helena! Good luck with your senior year and opening night!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A List of Things That Stress Me Out

A Letter to Crunchy Peanut Butter Eaters

"There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last."